Connection Pointe: session 3
As a Member I will Commit to:
Worship with other Christ followers.
Grow as part of a Pointe Group.
Serve, to meet the needs of my church and my community.
Give my tithes & offerings to support the church and its ministries.
What Is The Meaning Of Baptism?
- It best illustrates Christ’s death, burial and resurrection. (1 Cor. 15:3-4, Col. 2:12)
- It illustrates my new life as a Christian. (2 Cor. 5:17, Rom. 6:4)
- It is an outward symbol of your commitment to Christ.
Baptism does not make you a believer- it shows that you already believe. Baptism does not “save” you, only your faith in Christ does that. Baptism is like a wedding ring—it is the outward symbol of the commitment you have made with your life.
Why Be Baptized By Immersion?
- Because Jesus was baptized that way. (Matt. 3:16)
- Every baptism in the Bible was by immersion. (Acts 8:38-39)
- Because of the meaning of the word baptize.
•The word baptize means “to dip under water.”
•The Greek word baptize means “to immerse or dip under water.”
•It best symbolizes the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus.
Meaning of Communion
The only thing that Jesus asked his disciples to remember was his death and resurrection. One of the visible symbols he gave the church was the Lord’s Supper or communion. Communion is an object lesson that illustrates a great spiritual truth for believers.
Communion is simple ceremony to remember Christ’s death.
- The bread represents his body that was broken. "On the night when he was betrayed, the Lord Jesus took a loaf of bread, 24and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me." (1 Corinthians 11:23b,24. NLT)"
- The cup is a symbol of the blood he shed. "In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." (1 Cor. 11:25. NIV)"
- The act is a statement of your faith in Christ. "For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes. (1 Cor. 11:26)"
Who should take communion? Only those who are believers.
For if you eat the bread or drink the cup unworthily, not honoring the body of Christ, you are eating and drinking God's judgment upon yourself. (I Cor. 11:29)
How Do I Prepare Myself For Communion?
So if anyone eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord unworthily, that person is guilty of sinning against the body and the blood of the Lord. That is why you should examine yourself before eating the bread and drinking from the cup. (1 Cor. 11:27, 28)
1. Examine yourself. (1 Cor. 11:27)
2. Confess your sins (1 John 1:9)
3. Recommitment (Rom. 12:1)
4. Restore Relationships (Matt. 5:23-24)